Each Grove Youth Series meeting starts with a reflection and this time I asked the group what came to mind when they heard the term “Honest Christianity”? So here is a guest blog from the Grove Youth Series Editorial Team:
- Sometimes we need to say we don’t know, we’re not sure, doubt is okay.
- Somehow we have picked up that we should keep problems below the surface – it’s not okay to be not okay.
- Relationship struggles are really common but we often don’t talk about them.
- We don’t always have answers to fix the problems that young people share with us but we can say God loves them and it could change everything but sometimes just feels wishy washy.
- It is okay to lob questions at God, scream at God etc – underneath is God’s underpinning love for us which doesn’t change.
- Feel free to have a rant – doing this job won’t get me to heaven so why do I do it!
- We need honesty in testimony – most often the story goes from low to high but sometimes it is the other way round I became Christian and struggled…
- It is great to be part of a community but how do I hold on to me and resist the pressure to conform in ways that are not right for me.
I hope to pick up on some of these themes in the future but may also try to persuade some of my colleagues on the group to guest blog for us!