I am a member of a Trade Union and am currently getting bombarded with emails about the Labour Party leadership election. I admire anyone who is willing to stand for such elections – you are opening yourself up for so much grief from so many sources. One of the things I have read about for my research is the pressures on leaders. Often they (or we) are expected to:
• keep others happy;
• make no mistakes;
• always know what to say or do;
• take responsibility for everything;
• not require praise or encouragement;
• cope easily with criticism;
• function well in isolation (Ruth 2006:79).
Let’s treat our leaders with a little more compassion and in settings where we are followers let’s check our attitudes and expectations…
Ruth, S. Leadership and Liberation (London: Routledge, 2006).